Sunday 17 April 2011

Weekend Visitor.


[Common] Blackbird (Turdus merula)

A fairly regular visitor to the garden, especially when there are few others around, is Mrs. Blackbird. The natural habitat of this thrush species is woodland but they can be seen almost anywhere. They last nested in our garden many years ago but were constantly threatened by various local cats. We do have one open nest box in a partially secluded location and maybe sometime in the future she and her partner may grace our small patch once again.   FAB.   

6 comments:

  1. they're lovely, and are similar to our female blackbirds, although I think ours has more brown spots. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great shots! Maybe they'll nest in your yard again. Hope so!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos Frank, you got so close!

    They are around our garden all the time and can be very confiding, I have had one run around my feet while gardening to the extent that I have to be careful not to step on it! Also one will feed on the newly topped up table while I am inches away filling another feeder.

    We are lucky to have them nest in the garden every year and it is always a joy to see the youngsters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great portrait shooting! Thanks for the detailed look.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi texwisgirl. I'm not sure which of the 4 American species you are referring to so difficult for me to comment!

    Hi Mona. We always live in hope.

    Hi Jan. Can't say any of our visitors are that confiding and you are fortunate that they grace your garden by nesting anually.

    Cheers Keith.

    Hi Springman. Always try to oblige with a reasonable view.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you enjoyed your visit and I always appreciate your comments and feedback.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails