Thursday 27 May 2010

Blue at last.

Many years ago during a visit to Derbyshire I took masses of photographs of blue butterflies only to find that when I opened the camera to extract the film for processing there was no film in the camera...bummer!  Having only switched to digital earlier last year I realised that I had not managed to capture many species of butterflies so on Wednesday although it was a little windy I headed off to Bookham Common late mid morning in search of any flutters. To my delight I eventually located a male Common Blue patrolling its territory and regularly chasing off another male and wondered if it would ever come to rest.  
Well patience paid off and the male sat on a fern frond soaking up the sunshine.
He was also kind enough to let me capture his underside, so totally different to the blue topcoat.
During one of my other brief stops another male obliged the camera so mission accomplished. 

I also saw Small Copper, Peacock, Speckled Wood, some non-stop flying Whites and Orange Tips plus some damsels that I'll share in another post very soon.       FAB

16 comments:

  1. Oh, my goodness Frank- these are so perfectly beautiful! Would you please share what camera and lens you used for these? I have never been able to catch even a halfway decent photo of a butterfly or moth.
    Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOOH!!! What a pretty one he is...and gave you the perfect pose too!! The first photo almost looks mystical. Very nice!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are lovely Frank... Congrats on getting it.

    Regards,
    Angad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great images once again. I can identify with the "no film in the camera" situation. I'm glad to be digital now, too. :) I wish my really good camera would fit into my pocket, but at least I carry my baby camera in my pocket just about all the time.

    Lois

    ReplyDelete
  5. Frank, these are amazing shots. Well done. I especially love the 2nd one, where it's looking at you almost head-on. Love those big eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are gorgeous shots of beautiful butterflies!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness! That blue is just so beautiful! He's absolutely gorgeous. How lucky for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice C. B. photo's frank. Ive yet to get some! ( with there wings open)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What wonderful pictures. They are exquisite butterflies, that is for sure. I often get the holly blue in my garden but have only managed to capture it once.
    Will save you some Aquilegia 'green apples' seeds. Sort out posting at the end of the season......

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely shots Frank, I particularly like the second one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi "Early Birders". Thanks for your appreciation of the Common Blue. It was one of those few moments when everything worked out and they don't happen often enough for me so I'm pleased to have been able to share the experience.

    Lynne asked about the equipment I use: Cannon EOS450D plus EF 70-300mm IS USM. Don't own a macro so have to make do...this time it worked.

    Have a good weekend...FAB.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Frank, wow, love these butterfly images. They're gorgeous. Thanks for posting these. Have a great weekend! Carol

    ReplyDelete
  14. Carol. Thanks for your comments on my recent posts. Glad you enjoyed the garden blooms...they are currently getting a good soaking so rain meant no play outdoors today!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That second shot is awesome Frank.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Angie. Thanks. I was pleased with the outcome as well.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you enjoyed your visit and I always appreciate your comments and feedback.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails