Wednesday 26 May 2010

Garden Update May (Part 1)

I have been spending a little time in the garden recently and realised that I haven't posted an update since mid April so have put together a few montages of the changes I've seen over the last month.
Towards the end of April the multi-headed Narcissus were doing their thing adding another dimension to the display of yellows and oranges. As the days get warmer the red-purple spikes on Tulipa clusiana var. chrysantha open to reveal its sunshine yellow petals. First sighting of a Ladybird helping to reduce the aphid population on a Euphorbia. The lantern of Erythronium 'Pagoda' brightens up a dark space in a shaded spot under the boundary fence.   
As I garden on heavy clay the large flowered Tulips are grown in few pots and the display was not as good as last year but they provided a splash of pink, purple and red for a short time. The specie Tulips including T.biflora (white with yellow centre) and T. humilis (red with black centre) are all planted under a tree or shrubs and continue to bulk up year after year.
As we move into May, Brunnera 'Jack Frost' sends up its panicles of bright blue flowers; the ornamental quince (Chaenomeles speciosa 'Yuki-Goten') has produced a mass of blooms; the dwarf potted Pinus sends up new spikes; Bluebells (regretfully the non-native form and inherited) add more blue to the palette together with the spikes on the Camassia cusickii.   
A number of different Alliums are planted around the garden and it's fun to watch the sheaths open to reveal the hidden delights as day by day the starburst expands to form their colourful spheres.   

The two matching large Whichford Pots (a present from my friends at the pottery) which I planted up with two different Phormiums (Rainbow & Jester) underplanted with Thyme and Heuchera at the end of March are now begining to bulk up and I'm pleased with the combination but may need to add some bulbs for next spring.   FAB.

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful selection of the flora from your garden Frank, and superbly presented on your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you have an absolutely fabulous garden!
    Beautiful flowers and wonderful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a beautiful variety! I'm sorry to say I haven't even been to a greenhouse to buy any bedding plants yet. It was only 35 here again this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Frank, I'm stunned looking at your garden photos. Our tastes run so similarly it's amazing! The front of our house is covered in Baltic ivy as well and there are giant alliums blooming in front of it as I write from here in the northeastern USA. I also have camassia, which is not a common one here even though there are native forms. Your place looks lovely and inviting. And, your flower shots are gorgeous! Nice collages.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely images Frank.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Monty. Thanks. With so many images the collage option was the only way to post.

    Sarah. Nothing too special, but a haven for a bit of peace and quiet.

    Mona. I don't have room fo r bedding plants as the trees, shrubs, herbaceous plants and bulbs are sufficient to keep me occupied.

    Robin. We don't actually have anything growing on the house but there is plenty of Ivy climbing all over the place. It is difficult to show the layout but I may try and draw an up to date plan and post it sometime.

    Roy. Cheers,

    Angie. Thanks. I'm pleased with the show so far.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous. I love these images. Especially the reds. Carol

    ReplyDelete

I hope you enjoyed your visit and I always appreciate your comments and feedback.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails