Thursday 12 August 2010

Looking Down.

I needed some time today to get my head around various thoughts that have been running through my brain over recent days...I'll explain why another time, so I headed out to Headley Heath to stretch the legs.
I eventually found myself on an almost barren slope (top left image) but looks can be deceiving as beneath
my feet were patches of wild flowers......so what could I find beneath my feet?
A Silver-spotted Skipper (Hesperia comma).
A species of warm chalk dowland that only survives where the flowery turf is short and broken providing areas baked by the sun. It very much resembles a Large Skipper but the wings are narrower and more chequered.
Lesser Treble-bar Moth. A master of camouflage.
Another Moth species (to be identified).
Numerous Brown Argus were flitting around.
I also saw Ringlet, Meadow Brown, Small Heath, Gatekeeper, Small Copper, Green-veined White and....
lots of Common Blues but no sign of any Silver-studded.. maybe another day....FAB.

9 comments:

  1. Hi Frank....I do so like seeing the lay of the landscape in other places ..like in your photos!!!
    The Lesser Treble-bar sure is good at disquise...and the Common Blue sure is my favorite!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The butterflies are certainly looking worn Frank......but they are just as beautiful to this nature loving woman.

    Moths are often ignored but I think they are interesting and some are incredibly beautiful. Everything has a purpose......

    I do hope whatever is causing you to think that little bit harder is sorted out soon......

    ReplyDelete
  3. First off Frank, hoping that you are well and that is not what was on your mind. The flowers beneath your feet are so pretty and the different moths and butterflies that you discovered are wonderful. The one that you got on the driftwood, sure looks like it is well hidden with the exact colouration, splendid~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice captures, Frank! Love that Blue one. So pure and delicate. Very nice shot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm really enjoying your bug shots. I'm lucky to get one butterfly per week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like an ideal place for walking,looks very calm. And all those critters,wow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. grammie g. I'm delighted you can get a feel for the location as well as the varied wildlife.

    Cheryl. Regardless of their state I agree they all worth a few moments. I've rarely paid much attention to moths but they have their place in the scheme of things.

    Mary. There are quite a few Moths and Butterflies that have cryptic colouring...all worth checking out.

    Mona. All the Blues are pretty special.

    Steve B. Cheers, but you do at least have the advantage of water on the doorstep.

    Amila. Masses of space to walk...actually did another 3 hours there today but little to show for it...cooler temps!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish I had that kind of landscape to escape too so easily. I love the English countryside and your pictures portray it well. Love the wildflowers and butterflies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Cindy. Yes, we are fortunate to have so much green space on the doorstep...I couldn't live without it.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you enjoyed your visit and I always appreciate your comments and feedback.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails