Sunday 15 August 2010

Black Darter.

Black Darter (Sympetrum danae). A small darter that appears in late summer and the mature male is easily recognised by its obvious black colour, black legs, black pterostigma plus the waisted abdomen but not so easy to capture on a windy, overcast day are the three yellow spots on black patch on the side of its thorax! The females and immature males are yellow changing to an olive shade as they age. 
This pair were very fidgety during copulation which made focusing somewhat of a challenge.
Females have a small yellow patch at the base of the wings that is just visible in these last two images.
Next time I'll try to pick a sunny day with no wind!    FAB.

P.S. Update on PJB - Now breathing unaided but kidneys not working (hence continued dialysis) and liver only working at 25%. Expected to have a scan sometime tomorrow when hopefully we may learn if there are any other complications. 

14 comments:

  1. What a lovely Dragonfly! I've never seen one and I'll have to look it up for distribution in Britain. For bad conditions, you surely got some nice shots Frank. By the way, thanks for your offer on my blog, I'll take you up on that hopefully, one day.... (-:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Continued thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. It's hard to know what to say at such a difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your series of photos is terrific - but sad to hear about PJB. Hope things work out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great capture Frank.

    I actually came to read your update and am SO please to learn there is an improvement and hope it will continue. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great shots and a good find Frank.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely photos : )
    Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Look at those translucent wings. He is a gorgeous little critter. Great macros.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jenny. Not quite sure but you may have to drift a little southwards to find this one. Will await the call...fees are reasonable..a cuppa and bar of chocolate..lol.

    Hi Carol. Thanks. I'm doing ok.

    Hi Beatrice. Thank you my dear..no words neede, I understand.

    Hi Mona. Cheers. Early days yet for PJB.

    Hi Joan. Thanks. Some good but some not so good news re PJB.

    Hi Roy. Thanks.

    Hi Sarah. Glad you liked them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Frank, this is a new to me dragonfly. Very interesting.....I shall have to read up on it. Tku for sharing.

    Keeping you and yours in my thoughts.
    I do hope Mum and Dad are managing to cope with the situation. I am sure you are a wonderful support to them at this time.
    Do stop and smell the flowers? We all need quiet times......

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds very reasonable Frank, ah but.......what type of choc are we talking??? (-:

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Joanna. Sometimes you get lucky with the light!

    Hi Cheryl. Delighted to show you something new but you'll have to travel westwards to find one, I think. Thanks for your support... I'll be in touch very soon.

    Hi again Jenny. Well...shhsss..Cadburys, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know just how difficult it is to get those shots! Fantastic. And, of course they were fidgetty! You were watching for God's sake! I'd fidget, too.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you enjoyed your visit and I always appreciate your comments and feedback.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails