Tuesday 9 March 2010

Local Patch Walk.

A three hour leisurely stroll today very close to home saw me heading southwards following tree lined paths close to farmland with the constant scolding calls from Great and Blue Tits for company plus the occasional 'seep, seep' calls of Long-tailed Tits feeding overhead.  
Above is the view south with clouds building up as I turned east to cross the open fields containing many horses and quite a few Carrion Crows and Magpies. 
A number of friendly faces slowly meandered over to say hello to the interloper.
On the edge of the field I heard the constant calls from Fieldfare and Redwing and eventually got a shot of one Redwing before the timid flock moved away into another high resting point.
My journey took me into Horton Country Park with little avian activity except the drumming of Great Spotted Woodpeckers and the 'yaffle' of Green Woodpeckers until I got close to the golf course when a Grey Heron flew over. At the ponds I added Canada Geese, Coot, Moorhen and a pair of Tufted Ducks.
Turning westwards the path followed the still very damp woodlands which produced Jays, Chaffinch, Robin, Goldfinch, Nuthatch (heard), Dunnock, and a pair of courting Wrens.
Close to Castle Hill Woods there were even more Redwing and Fieldfares chatting high in the trees and constantly on the move. Just at the end of my walk a small group of Ring-necked Parakeets were feeding on the emerging pussy willow buds.

The legs got a decent work out and the total tally for todays stroll was just 26 species.  FAB.

14 comments:

  1. I could do with a good long walk too! Are you used to the RN Parakeets over there Frank? We only get the occasional sighting over here in the westcountry so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jenny. Yes, very common with some very large flocks close by. Not sure how I would feel about the noise if they camped out in the garden!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - 26 species. I'd say that was a great day (compared to here) lol. Nice photos and loved the walk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mona. All reasonably easy species to find at this time of year. Just waiting for the first early migrants to turn up, then it should get interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely horses Frank. Looks like a good area to walk as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Frank,
    Well I'll never 26 species by this time of the year or i will have to drive and search for very long....
    Just a visit today to several harbors produced 16 species and all very common ;-) You got a nice walk and observation days and I'm still amazed about the parakeets!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yaffle? What a lovely stroll! I enjoyed going along with you, but wish it was for real!! I've awarded you a Sunshine Award. Check the details on my blog and feel free to pass it on. ~ks

    ReplyDelete
  8. A wonderful walk....and at the end these cute Parakeeks... so exotic!The flashing green is certainly light...!

    The hoses you met had the warm blankets on...it must still be very chilly!!!!!
    have a nice evening!!
    ciao ciao elvira

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Roy. It will be better once the migrants arrive.

    Chris. Just as well your common species are different to mine including the 'squawking' Parakeets!

    Karen. It was great to have your company, if only virtually!

    Elvira. Exotic and noisy but still fun to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 26 species, how impressive. I really enjoyed your walk and wonderful pictures. Great shots of the horses.
    Sunny :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The horses certainly look well cared for. They always make good subjects.
    Haven't seen a Fieldfare since the large flock descended locally for a few days in the snowy weather.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sunny. Thanks. If the temperatures improve we should see more soon.

    Midmarsh John. The horses were very attentive. I guess your Fieldfares have drifted off to pastures new.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my. I love the horses!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Lisa. Me too and they were very friendly.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you enjoyed your visit and I always appreciate your comments and feedback.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails