Tuesday 9 March 2010

Garden Update.

During the past two days I have spent a few hours in the garden checking for signs of life and pruning back a Clematis montana which has decided to dramatically invade my neighbours garden. I know this is not the correct time for cutting back this species and we will loose a proportion of blooms this year but if I left it alone someone else would reap the benefit!
With the suns rays shedding a little warmth on the very wet clay soil there was some life and colour to be found in an otherwise 'skeleton' looking garden. The Euphorbia has stood up well throughout the winter; various pots bursting with the green shoots of Narcissus, Tulips and Alliums hinting at the colourfull show yet to come; some Cyclamen corms left in a seed tray have flowered; new growth on the Chaenomeles 'Yuki-Goten' and not least the small clumps of Snowdrops dotted around the main border.
The Hellebores (mostly orientalis hybrids) have spread, with the help of self seeding, from one side of the path to the other. I took the opportunity to lift a few decent sized seedlings and pot them up and hope there may be some different forms for a future spring show. Below are a few of the faces I enjoy looking at.
Whilst the Robin and Blackbird made occasional forays into the garden I was delighted to capture evidence that at least one Long-tailed Tit, (four were first seen a few days ago) had decided to pay me a personal visit while I worked and kept a eye on my apparent lack of progresss! 

Another good piece of news arrived by e-mail; the National Trust at Hatchlands have decided to go ahead with a Dawn Chorus walk on 2nd May so I'll be getting up very, very early to identify the sights and sounds of our rich bird life for their vistors.  FAB.

14 comments:

  1. So good to see the signs of spring bursting through in the garden. Looks like you'll have quite a show Frank.

    Great news about the Dawn Chorus walk mate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice floral pics Frank, things definitely seem to be on the move and not before time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those "faces" are beautiful Frank.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Frank,
    Oh man, I would like to see sign of spring over here too and some nice flowers but it is too early over here. Nice visit you got with the long-tailed tit, and it even let you take pictures. Quite a nice fellow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice post. The Hatchlands walk sounds like fun (except for the early dawn part. lol).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok...now I am offically jealous! Plants, flowers, colour....garden! Mine is still under a foot of white stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! You've just made me realise that I NEED to get out in the garden too Frank! I need to get my little veg patch dug over and ...and...... (-:

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Keith, Monty, Roy, Chris, Mona, Susan & Jenny.
    Just pleased to be able to blog about the garden at long last.

    Mona. I probably won't go to sleep the night before!

    Susan. Didn't mean to upset you but I know your time will come a little later than over here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I'm amazed at how much you have in bloom already Frank! My Hellebore from last year is just starting to peek above the soil, but I am happy that it survived the winter and will bloom again. I will have to procure some more of them this year and spread their beauty around the yard!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Heather. It is good to see their colourful faces again. If you were closer then there are plenty of seedling here you could have for free.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful Frank! Those Hellebores are beautiful! I have some blooming in my garden right now...but just one color! Good luck on more beauties. I'm going to move some around my gardens soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Eve. If you able to plant another colour you never know what different combinations might appear from the seedlings...that's the fun part of gardening.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Frank, it looks like spring in your photograps, my garden is still deeply sleeping under a snow cover. When the snow was gone for a few days, I was pulling meadowsweets out of the earth by both my eyes and desire to see them but before first leaves were strong enough to open, the snow cover was back. They say it should be warm here next weekend so let's see...

    I do like your Helleborus, I like these flowers very much. I do have them in front of the house but it seems to me that they should be prettier than they are. I'll have to find out what's best for them. Tell me, what do you find important for their successful growing?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Petra. Hellebores are hungry plants. They generally prefer humus rich, well drained situation in dappled shade. I also give them a annual mulch of well rotted organic compost. They hate very dry or waterlogged conditions.
    Here is a link you may find helpful:
    http://apps.rhs.org.uk/AdviceSearch/profile.aspx?PID=113

    Cheers FAB.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you enjoyed your visit and I always appreciate your comments and feedback.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails