Wednesday 11 March 2009

The Barn Owl by Ted Kooser

My thanks to Lynne from Hastybrook for e-mailing a 'Valentine' poem "The Barn Owl" by Ted Kooser (United States Poet Laureate Consultant in Poetry to the Library of Congress from 2004 - 2006) which we think provides an appropriate link to the previous post, albeit a few weeks late!

High in the chaffy, taffy colored haze of the hayloft,
up under the starry nail-hole twinkle of the old tin roof,
there in a nest of straw and bailing twine I have hidden my valentine for you:
a white heart woven of snowy feathers in which wide eyes are welcome
open to you as you climb the rickety ladder to my love.
Behind those eyes lies a boudoir of intimate darkness, darling, the silks of oblivion.
And set like a jewel dead center in the heart is a golden hook the size of a finger ring,
to hold you always, plumpest sweetheart mouse of mine.

4 comments:

  1. Very imaginatively written (I must come clean and say I hadn't previously heard of the poet) and as you say Frank an appropriate link to your beautiful Barn Owl photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't heard of him either Jan but all credit to Lynne's memory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...I went to Ted Kooser's site and listened as he read the poem. Loved it! Also liked his Screech Owl post.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you enjoyed your visit and I always appreciate your comments and feedback.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails