Saturday 20 February 2010

Patch Walk 19 Feb (Horton C.P.)

I managed a long overdue local patch walk yesterday afternoon around part of Horton Country Park. Whilst there wasn't a vast amount of avian activity it was good to get out in reasonable weather. The overiding sounds as I entered  Castle Wood were squawking Parakeets, noisy Crows, plus the forceful 'chuitt, chuitt' warning from a Nuthatch, the ocassional 'kick, kick, kick' of a Great Spotted Woodpecker. In one of the paddocks I estimated a mixed flock of 100 plus Fieldfare and Redwing busily feeding but nervously flying off to a high vantage point at the slightest opportunity. I also disturbed a Grey Heron at the very small pool inside one of the other woodlands and shortly afterwards had a brief view of a Kestrel perched on a fence, but a little too distant for a really good photo.
Noisy Parakeet.
Kestrel.
Blue Tit gives a sideways glance.
Other species seen were Blackbird, Wren, Long-tailed Tits, Magpie, Black-headed Gull and Robin.  FAB.

8 comments:

  1. Hundreds of Fieldfare and Redwings? I guess a comparable datum would be our American Robin. Question, are the Parakeets feral?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a nice walk you got. I'm still stunned about the fact that you can see monk parakeet! The blue tit shot is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the Parakeet. Well, they don't come here in the south west.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice photos, Frank! Always a nice variety that you get to see on your walks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like to here of your local birds Frank, keep me informed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely images from you again Frank,my favourite has to be the Parakeet.
    John.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Its good to get back to the local patches Frank, have not done so myself for the last week, hopefully it will all change tomorrow weather permitting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Steve B. All winter Thrushes so I guess you are right. Yes, the Rose-ringed Parakeet is feral. I've sent an e-mail with some more info to you.

    Chris. Sorry, it is a Rose-ringed or also called Ring-necked. There is a small population of Monk Parakeets 20-30 miles away but I don't think they are spreading very far.

    Bob. Just you wait...their range is expanding.

    Mona. Thank you.

    Warren. I'll do my best to visit locally more often.

    JRandSue. Cheers John but you may not feel the same when there are 80-100 squawking overhead or raiding the garden feeders!

    Monty. We could certainly do with a decent run of fine weather.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you enjoyed your visit and I always appreciate your comments and feedback.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails