Friday 5 February 2010

More Points Means More Prizes?

Sorting through some images I took last December during a visit to Richmond Park I finally located some of the older RED DEER stags. As I mentioned in my previous posts (Watching Red Deer #1) and (Watching Red Deer #2) it is difficult to age deer but the total number of points and the growth of brow tines is an easy way to identify the more senior stags. 
The guy above has 16 points and is probably one of, if not, the most senior fellow in the park herd.
At first glance this chap appeard to have only 13 points but if you take a closer look you can see that he has lost one of the tines from his upper left hand branch probably as a result of a fight or sparring match.
Hey..... I think that's close enough!

Just one more portrait, then I'll back off...thanks.  FAB.

11 comments:

  1. I think that our continent is just a little less joyous because we do not have these Rogins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are stunning photos of this stag! Was he actually in the wild? Or is Richmond Park a nature preserve (as we call them here in Canada) Regardles, Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Steve B. You could be right.

    Hi Susan. The herd lives in a public park so they are fairly used to human activity.

    Hi Angie. Thanks very much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Frank,
    Well I can imagine it is rather impressive to walk in a park with such animals around ;-) But it is also probably enjoyable! These pictures are gorgeous, and the portrait are beautiful....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous images Frank.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just absolutely beautiful photos of the stag. Nice work, FAB!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Midmarsh John. Thanks.

    Chris. Very enjoyable and at least the Deer are accommodating when it comes to taking portraits..if only the birds would comply!

    Roy. Cheers.

    Mona. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Top shots of a magnificent beast. I dont think I would of got too close to it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Warren. They are less dangerous after the rut!!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you enjoyed your visit and I always appreciate your comments and feedback.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails