Sunday 15 July 2018

Small Tortoiseshell.

Over the last four years my transect walks through the woodland glades on Ashtead Common have produced sightings of 24 different species BUT one butterfly that I have so far failed to record is the Small Tortoiseshell (Aglais urticae).

Fortunately I had the opportunity to photograph one individual during a visit to Clandon Wood Burial Reserve at the end of June.


It spent ages with its wings closed so I had to be patient and wait for those fabulous colours to reappear.



4 comments:

  1. A beauty indeed! Very common in Finland.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are so beautiful all together.
    Karin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Frank,
    A beautiful series of this little fox - Aglais urticae
    it is a beautiful drawn butterfly. Beautifully photographed

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty little fella!
    Thanks for linking up at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2018/07/a-bit-of-avian-whimsey.html

    ReplyDelete

I hope you enjoyed your visit and I always appreciate your comments and feedback.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails