Wednesday 22 June 2016

A Skipper at long last.






My first Skipper sighting for this year was recorded last Sunday some 100 yards before the start of my Ashtead Common transect. I watched two male Large Skipper (Ochlodes sylvanus) nectaring on a patch of bramble flowers constantly being disturbed by a couple of Meadow Brown.





With much better weather forecast for this coming weekend I will be hoping to record Skippers during my planned transect walk.


I did record two Meadow Brown (Maniola jurtina) on the transect last Sunday under a cloudy sky and again I am anticipating that larger numbers will be on the wing this coming weekend together with Ringlet and a few other emerging species.


9 comments:

  1. Saw my first Skippers (large and small) and Meadow Browns of the year this week too.
    I hope the weather picks up soon as it's been pretty dire for flutter spotting so far this year.
    Good luck...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Frank and great shots of both species of butterflies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Magnificent images showing this beautiful Butterfly..

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...love the detail in these photos. They are beautiful. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I managed to see my first Large Skipper up here yesterday. No Wall Browns yet, but my first Ringlets today on my transect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice! How warm orange and brown!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Splendid photos of the skippers. You captured them beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We get very similar looking skippers in our garden here - not the same species I assume - but all skippers look alike to me!!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Skippers are late this year Frank.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you enjoyed your visit and I always appreciate your comments and feedback.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails