Friday 25 May 2018

Farlington Marshes - Winter Birding.


Earlier this year I made three visits to Farlington Marshes, one of my favourite sites on the south coast, to enjoy the spectacle of winter birding.

 
One of the main attractions being the thousands of Dark-bellied Brent Geese that migrate southwards from their arctic breeding grounds in late September to spend the winter months in and around Langstone Harbour.









The reserve and surrounding harbour attracts large numbers of waders, including Dunlin, Knot, Grey Plover and Oystercatchers (above) plus Ringed Plover, Turnstone and Black-tailed Godwit (below) in their drab grey winter plumage.



Wildfowl increase through the winter months with particularly high numbers of Teal and Northern Pintail (above) plus Shelduck (below).

During these winter visits I have logged 64 species including Avocet, Marsh Harrier, Peregrine, Water Rail, Water Pipit, Short-eared Owl, Bearded Reedling and one of several Spoonbill (below) that irregularly visit this site.

I will be revisiting this area throughout the year and hope to share the diversity of species that can be seen here.  FAB.

Linking to:
Saturday's Critters
I'D-Rather-B-Birdin'

6 comments:

  1. Very nice selection of birds. I especially like the action shots! I can't seem to capture birds in flight like I want to. Happy Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty ... It take practice and I'm still learning!!

      Delete
  2. Wonderful photos! Looks like a great place to go to see a variety of birds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Frank, you are welcome to join in any time. You have a beautiful variety of birds. The Brant, Oystercatcher, Godtail, Pintail and Teal are wonderful sightings. I would be thrilled to see the Spoonbill. Great series of photos. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Sunday, enjoy your day and new week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back to blogging! Thanks for linking up this week!...ALL your photos are grand. I have to favour your spoonbill in flight!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Northern Pintails are a favorite of mine. Nice photos.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you enjoyed your visit and I always appreciate your comments and feedback.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails