Thursday 20 July 2017

Getting to grips with new gear.


At long last I finally decided it was time to upgrade from my trusty Canon 450D that has served me well for many years to something with a great deal more fire power and also add a macro lens to my tool box.

So earlier this week I paid an early morning visit to the lower chalk downland slopes at Juniper Bottom together with my new 80D and a 100mm f2.8L Macro lens in anticipation of finding some 'flutters' to photograph.

Whilst the temperature was a reasonable 19 deg.C there was a blustery wind and nothing appeared to be on the wing until I spotted a lonely male Marbled White hunkered down in the grass.

Over the following twenty minutes it constantly flitted around the hillside rarely stopping to perch for a second or two but finally came to rest long enough to test the new set up.


As the morning wore on I found a few other species.

A male Common Blue.


And fairly close by was a female Common Blue (below).


When the sun disappeared behind the clouds I turned my attention to the varied selection of wild flowers scattered over the grassland.


Attaching an extension tube to the macro lens gave me an opportunity to test its use with some close-ups of Knapweed bracts (below).


A male Small Skipper.

A chance find was this Silver-Spotted Skipper hiding close to my feet and I only managed one shot before it flew away never to be seen again!

There were plenty of Six-spot Burnets all over the grassland.
 
One species I was hopeful of seeing was the Dark Green Fritillary (below). I followed several up and down the slope for what seemed ages before getting just one shot of this individual as it perched briefly.


Having reviewed all the images taken during this test excursion I am very pleased with the outcome and performance of the new gear ... just need to get used to the different button layout on the 80D and maybe read the instruction manual. FAB.

13 comments:

  1. Excellent results, Frank. You made some terrific choices in your new gear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Frank, These are great images very hard to pick a favourite.The new camera and lens look like a great combination, whxich will give you years of pleasure.I have just upgraded my old 70-300mm with the new one and the results are amazing,really pleased with it.So enjoy the new gear and look forward to many more great images.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Frank,:) Nice to see you back, sharing such beautiful photos. Congrats on your new camera, your images are great.:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photos, the new equipment is proving it's worth :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good choice of lens Frank, you'll grow to love it! I'm sure it'll give you many happy hours of getting even closer to nature?
    I recently had to send mine back to Canon (after more than two years excellent service) when it went a bit crook, it was only away for a week but I was totally lost without it!...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So great to have new equipment. I know the feeling. Those butterflies are so fantastic but I love the Burnet. I've never seen one of those before. I'm guessing they're a UK insect. Love them all. Carol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on your new equipment, Frank! The first results are fantastic!
    I also have the 2.8 macro. This lens will give you a lot of fun!
    Warm regards, Maria

    ReplyDelete
  8. You got some superb results Frank.

    ReplyDelete
  9. very impressive gear and you seem to have got your head round it already

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! These are magnificent!

    ผลบอล

    ReplyDelete
  11. New gear is always fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. New gear is always fun!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you enjoyed your visit and I always appreciate your comments and feedback.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails