Wednesday 30 May 2012

Broad-bodied Chaser.



During a wander around the common today I stopped at a small stagnant pool where there was at least six male Broad-bodied Chasers (Libellula depressa) darting hither and thither as they all attempted to seek out what appeared to be a single female while also vigorously defending their individual territories.

It took me a little time to work out where certain individuals where likely to perch and then it was just a matter of waiting patiently and hoping they would sit still long enough.

Unfortunately the female was constantly on the wing and my attempts to catch her while ovipositing where unsuccessful .... maybe next time.  FAB.

11 comments:

  1. really pretty wing detail, frank! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A nice look through your lens! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos Frank. I used to have the occasional one visit the garden but not seen for a few years now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Frank!!!.. Beautiful pictures.. Good macros.. Cheers!!!..
    Ana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous captures and a beautiful dragonfly. Good luck catching the female. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Come to Warnham Frank, my females are posing beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hah! Getting the femaile ovipositing is TOUGH! These males a great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely images Frank. This is one species I have not seen yet this year in the usual areas I find them.?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the names they choose for some of these creatures! Always fascinating to think how you get two pair of wings to work and not dump you on your back in the mud.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, Frank! These macros are FAB! I always like seeing closeups of the dragons. Their wings are so interesting.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you enjoyed your visit and I always appreciate your comments and feedback.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails