Thursday 27 July 2017

Lowland Heath Specialities.




During a butterfly foray on Chobham Common last weekend despite being plagued by inclement weather I managed to get a few images of some of the special species that can be found on this very important lowland heath habitat.





A female Common Darter (Sympetrum striolatum).

Small Red Damselfly (Ceriagrion tenellum).

Emerald Damselfly [female] (Lestes sponsa).

Emerald Damselfly [male] (Lestes sponsa).

A male Keeled Skimmer (Orthetrum coerulescens).

Other species seen were Common Blue and Azure Damselflies.

Due to the intermittent rain showers only a few butterfly species clearly seen by me were Gatekeeper, Meadow Brown, Ringlet, Speckled Wood, Large Skipper and Brimstone plus probably one of the most cryptically camouflaged species, the Grayling.

 Grayling (Hipparchia Semele).



6 comments:

  1. I bet you are loving your new gear! These shots are terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely shots but the darter looks like a female Common Darter as you can see yellow stripes on the legs (all dark on Black) + Black should show a black panel with 3 yellow spots on the side of the thorax (lacking in your photo). I had been thinking of going to Chobham last weekend but opted out because of forecast. Seeing your photos I should have gone1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Conehead54. I should have looked more closely. I have amended notes.

      Delete
  3. I don't know if you are Frank, but I'm loving your new macro lens. Carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Frank,
    Are you going to Greece again?
    I am back from Lesvos!
    This post i did not seen last year. Lovely photos of theDamselfly and Skimmer
    Best Wishes,
    Maria

    ReplyDelete

I hope you enjoyed your visit and I always appreciate your comments and feedback.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails