Friday 6 January 2017

Long-tailed Duck.

My first recorded sighting of a Long-tailed Duck was way back in 1994 during a winter visit to the North Norfolk coast and all subsequent sightings had always been at coastal locations. So hearing that a juvenile had turned up on a pond in my land-locked home county I grabbed the opportunity yesterday to search it out at Frensham Little Pond.

With just two areas free of ice it didn't take me too long to locate this individual as it drifted back and forth alongside the ice constantly diving and reappearing for a moment or two before disappearing again. Monitoring the air bubbles rising to the surface helped me to gauge where it would reappear.





Obviously not as stunning as an adult in full breeding plumage but still a delightful encounter and a nice addition to my year list.


Linking to:

11 comments:

  1. They are beautiful ducks, not likely to see one in my part of the world alas, but you never know

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's a beauty floating around in that blue water. Hope all is well with you. Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. As you say Frank, a welcome year tick...it's always good when they come to you!...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, they are beautiful ducks. Great collection of photos. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great capture Frank.
    Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always love to hear that someone will drop everything and head out in the hope of catching a view of a special bird. Lovely little fellow. Great captures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thats a little out of place. Had a number of very cold days watching these off the NE coast many moon ago!

    Cheers - Stewart M - (temporarily in) New Zealand

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy New Year! Sorry I have been away so long. I have a lot of catching up to do.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you enjoyed your visit and I always appreciate your comments and feedback.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails