Monday 24 August 2015

Migrant Lady.

While ascending some steps on the slopes of Denbies Hillside last week I was delighted to have another encounter with a migrant Painted Lady (Vanessa cardui) taking advantage of a break in the clouds to bask in the brief sunshine.


With some six generations each year this species completes an astonishing 15,000km round trip between North Africa and Northern Europe. The numbers appearing in Britain depends on suitable winds and fluctuates dramatically from year to year with the most recent major migration seen in 2009 when around 4 million were detected by radar crossing the English Channel between the 25 and 29 May. 
So far this year the data from UK Butterfly Monitoring Scheme indicates that the Painted Lady has been recorded at 424 different sites.

Life Cycle: From egg to adult takes 7-9 weeks, depending on temperatures, and the adults live between 10 to 24 days.
Larval Foodplants: Mainly thistle species but also Mallow, Nettle and Viper's-bugloss.

Linking to:
Nature Notes hosted by Michelle

19 comments:

  1. What a wonderful find, thanks for sharing. Tom The Backroads Traveller

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello again, Frank :-) Great to see your encounter with the Painted Lady (great images). I saw two in the evening again today (perhaps a third). I wonder how long they will stay up my way, guessing they will stay with you longer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Painted Lady is very pretty. Awesome shots.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow..that is a trip. I know they are looking at this butterfly and another as to how far they migrate but all the attention is on the monarchs now..I think I have two that will eclose tomorrow which won't be the best day for a first flight on new wings...Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Frank. We have had a sudden arrival of Painted Ladies here in south east Scotland. I ha only received three records of them this year until Saturday when four were seen. More records were sent in on Sunday and monday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm still hoping to see my first one before they depart.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...cool! I just read about their successive generations during migration! They migrate from Mexico to the US and Canada and back here. Beautiful photos...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Many fine insect images! This I have also seen :-))

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a pretty little subject. I'm always glad to see these little creatures in photos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Isn't she lovely! I wonder why she's on the grass//straw instead of a nectar plant? Maybe just resting?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful Frank. I have seen very few Painted Ladies this whole season, and they are one of my favorites to see and photograph~

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great pictures - how do you know it was a migrant?

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  13. Frank, Great images of the painted lady and I really wonder don't they get tired :) Have a great day and will be back.

    Shantana

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous photos of this wonderful Lady.
    Best, Synnöve

    ReplyDelete

I hope you enjoyed your visit and I always appreciate your comments and feedback.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails