Friday 27 March 2015

Garden and Patch Update.


With the garden starting to wake up with the warmer temperatures I felt it was time to get my hands dirty so I visited to a local Garden Centre at the beginning of the week to purchase some more compost. Typically I couldn't resist perusing the fresh stock of plants on offer and also came away with a mixture of herbaceous and wild flowers including Helenium, Phlox, Veronica, Knautia plus Black Knapweed and Ragged Robin. Later in the week I also succumbed to buying more Lilly bulbs.
  
A voice said "Where are you going to plant all those?". Never fear I'll find room was my response and a few hours later, under the watchful eye of Mr Blackbird, relevant spaces were found, everything planted and most of the bare soil satisfyingly mulched with organic compost.

While I wait for the small specie Tulips and Narcissus to bloom I can currently enjoy these little treasures (below) ... tiny clumps of Scilla siberica spreading freely beneath the Birch at the bottom of the garden.





I have undertaken a couple of patch walks this week at Epsom Common. Still relatively quiet  although a couple of pairs of noisy Canada Geese have taken up residence plus the Teal and Tufted Ducks are still around but preferring to hide in the marginal vegetation. Great Spotted Woodpeckers have been drumming constantly in response to other males as they stake out their respective territories.

In addition to the permanent well weathered Dragonfly; a sculpture erected many year ago on the fringes of the Great Pond; it was good to see the Salix buds bursting open. Five Greylag Geese also made a brief appearance and my first sighting for this year of Chiffchaff (2) singing from their lofty perches. Hopefully it won't be long before I'm listening to the songs of other returning migrants such as Blackcap, Whitethroat and Garden Warbler.  FAB. 

15 comments:

  1. your blooms are lovely, but i am always completely enamored by your european blackbirds. such fine-looking birds!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Frank Some lovely plants and birdss in garden/ patch. Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty images from your garden. And I love the Blackbird.. Looks like Spring there.. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such gorgeous spring photos !!
    Your garden is beautiful !!
    Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful shot of the Blackbird. I always seem to buy more seeds/plants than I have room for, but that is part of the fun of gardening.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I see spring is finally arriving for you, such pretty blooms. Love your bird shots!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I cannot believe how advanced your spring is compared to ours. We still have snow on the ground! Snowdrops? Maybe in June this year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely Mosaics, Frank - and Pretty Birds 'n Blooms!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done on the Chiffy Frank, I have still not heard or seen one yet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ragged Robin is such a pretty wildflower. It does very well here and has spread in the wild garden. I also succumbed to lily bulbs....,,,,it was a mistake, as the dreaded lily beetle is in the garden. Every year I buy and it is a disaster. I have heard garlic spray on foliage every ten days deters them. I have some ready and waiting.............

    Lovely shot of Mr Blackbird..........

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your garden looks gorgeous and is already very flowery!
    I think that dragonfly sculpture is fun especially because it is so weathered!
    Enjoy your sunday :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for your all's kind words of encouragement during a difficult time for us Frank. Your Spring shares are so beautiful and any day now it shall burst forth here as well, and I shall await the beauty and the warmth~

    ReplyDelete
  13. What beautiful flowers. We so look forward to going home in May to see the flowers this year. Our schedule reverses from year to year so what we see one year in May we miss the next year - and so it goes year round.

    Your Canada Goose is so pretty.

    Happy Easter and all the best from Port Canaveral,
    Lois

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful garden!!!!
    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you enjoyed your visit and I always appreciate your comments and feedback.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails