Monday 29 September 2014

The Patient Stalker.


In my book the Grey Heron has to be one of the most patient stalkers. Often standing in one position for ages with its eyes glued to the watery surface watching and waiting for its prey. This individual had picked a spot where the grasses provided some cover and was facing the sun so that its shadow didn't betray its presence on the water surface in the ditch well below its feet.

Even with a slight breeze blowing the Heron remained motionless, something I could never come to terms with when as a mere youngster I was taken fishing by my Uncle. I just couldn't find the enthusiasm for sitting still while watching and waiting for that colouful float to bob in the water BUT as a wildlife watcher I'm happy to sit for as long as it takes to see this master fisherman at work.


Very occasionally you might notice a slight repositioning of it head as it refocuses its concentration.

It then leans forward indicating that a strike might happen and in a flash the action is all over AND regretfully on this occasion my concentration wavered at the wrong moment!

The Heron was sucessful and after devouring its quarry it turned its back on me and repositioned itself further along the bank to continue its patient vigil.

 I'll just have to try another day in the hope of catching the moment of impact!  FAB.

Linking to WILD BIRD WEDNESDAY.

22 comments:

  1. wonderful shots. love the herons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of the coolest birds. But when it does get it's prey....it's quick and deadly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice close up shots of the heron. I'll send some blue skies your way Frank. Get ready.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are beautiful birds with great patients adn this series of your shots are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A wonderful display of wildlife shots, very precise and calm. I really like them.

    Mersad
    Mersad Donko Photography

    ReplyDelete
  6. You had to be as patient as the heron! Great shots. I live amongst many herons, but find they are difficult to photograph. They lift off at the slightest movement from far away.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sitting still was never my best feature either, Frank although now, in my later years, I find it rewarding especially when watching one of nature's wonders!...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  8. they ARE beautiful creatures, aren't they.

    Good shots, too

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great observation and photos, it's wonderful to see it so close.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A great series of photos and the bird is clever to understand about the shadow and reflection and patience necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous shots! I wish I had that kind of patience.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Herons always make a good subject and you've captured them superbly.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always think I'm patient...but the herons can be so still...for hours and I'm thinking I'm missing other bird action down the trail. Your photos are extraordinary!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great series on the heron.. They are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, my. These are glorious images! They are quite patient. I wish I was as patient while trying to photograph them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Frank...beautiful shots, lovely close-ups!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great set of pictures - I find it hard to get pictures of herons in action - the presence of my kids may not help in this regard!

    I actually find the stillness of fishing very similar to the few occasions when I manage to be taking pictures on my own!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the close shot of its head and scraggy looking neck.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Excellent photos! Herons are one of my favorite subjects. We have the similar Great Blue Heron here.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your Grey Heron really made me smile -:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Excellent. I always leave before they catch a fish ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very nice and clear pictures of the blue heron.
    The portrait in the 2nd picture is also great nice to see.
    My compliment.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you enjoyed your visit and I always appreciate your comments and feedback.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails