Monday 15 September 2014

Migrant Hawker.


I don't know whether I have been unobservant in past summers but I seem to have seen far more Migrant Hawkers (Aeshna mixta) this year than ever before or maybe I've just been in the right location at the right time.
Whilst I published a couple of images a month ago taken last September a very recent visit to The London Wetland Centre at Barnes provided an opportunity to grab a few up to date shots of this delightful dragonfly as there were plenty of males hawking low around the waterside fringes.
 The only females I spotted were attached in tandem to their partners.


I tried desperately to get a head-on in flight shot but for some reason they only wanted to hover just above the reeds pointing towards the water! Obviously far more interested in finding a mate than pleasing the whims and wishes of a wildlife watcher.

At least the image shows how each wing works independently of the others thus enabling these Hawkers to both hover and undertake those intricate movements in any direction they desire.  FAB.

13 comments:

  1. A very nice set of the Migrant Frank. There are still quite a few of these around as they are about the last to fly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic shots! Great detail!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are fabulous shots of them, Frank.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great shots of A. mixta. Congratulations, Frank! We were not able to make good pictures of pairs during copulation.
    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Een heerlijke mooie serie,hier zie ik er niet veel meer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous captures, and I especially like the second shot with the blue background.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great pictures Frank. I have noticed that there seem to be a lot more damselflies and dragonflies around this year than I have noticed in previous years..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brian King said it for me. Nice ones Frank.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Still lots around, and yes, they have been very numerous this year, even in urban gardens

    ReplyDelete

I hope you enjoyed your visit and I always appreciate your comments and feedback.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails