Friday 29 August 2014

Tices Meadow Visit.


With a few interesting species being reported from Tices Meadows I took the opportunity to pay a visit today and set up the scope on the mound overlooking the large expanse of water. As expected a large number of Canada Geese (which I didn't bother to count), Greylag (1), Egyptian Geese (2), Mallard, Tufted, Gadwall, Teal, Wigeon (1), Coot, Great Crested and Little Grebe, Mute Swan, Cormorant (2), Black-headed and Lesser Black-backed Gulls, Grey Heron (5), Kestrel (1), House Martins, Swift (2), Woodpigeon, Starlings and Magpies.

Egyptian Goose having a stretch.

Mute Swan not wanting to wait around.

Black-headed Gull moulting into its 1st winter plumage.

My main interest however was scanning the distant muddy margins for waders and this proved quite fruitful as apart from the usual Lapwings I located Common Snipe (2), Black-tailed Godwit (3), Ringed Plover (2), Greenshank (1), Common Sandpiper (2), Green Sandpiper (1) and Ruff (8) which added five species to my Surrey Year List.   FAB.

8 comments:

  1. i like the cool egyptian goose! and a good fence! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Egyptian Goose! I've never heard of one before. And the Mute Swan! Beautiful pictures of all three!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you had a successful day out Frank, with a good tally of 'ticks' to add to the list(s)?...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a plethora of species. Lucky you. Great place to safari.

    Love those pink legs. (Birds are SO cool)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The waterfowl there in England surely comes in a variety. I love the Egyptian Goose. Have a great weekend Frank to you and yours. Carol

    ReplyDelete
  6. What great birds you saw! Hurrah on adding the new species! I love the Black-headed gull shot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your photos are nice as always, and I really like that Egyptian Goose. Quite a different looking bird.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love places like that is a lot of water and so many different species of birds
    Great pictures you have:-)

    Greets

    ReplyDelete

I hope you enjoyed your visit and I always appreciate your comments and feedback.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails