Monday 20 May 2013

Garden Delights.


After an early morning visit to the local recycling depot to dispose of numerous bags of unwanted hedge trimmings I decided to sit for a while on the low retaining wall beneath the lilac that is just coming into flower and snap whatever came within my field of view. The low growing Dicentra behind the shed is slowly loosing its colour. Over the past few days the stems of the Alliums have been getting taller and taller all around the garden and now some of the heads are just starting to pop open and will shortly reveal their spherical blooms.

Over the years, Aquilegia vulgaris 'William Guiness' has freely spread to many areas of the garden, often appearing from tiny cracks in the concrete path, but it can take anything from 2 - 5 years to achieve its ultimate height of 75cm.

A few avian visitors, Blue Tit, Magpie, Starling and House Sparrow, dropped in to check out the feeders. Others that failed to get within focus range included Goldfinch, Coal Tit, Blackbird and Robin.

One visitor that I initially failed to notice, until I stood up, was resting only two feet away .... a female Orange Tip with its very distinctive under-wing pattern.

Despite stroking her wing very gently with my finger she wouldn't move from her perch.   FAB.

25 comments:

  1. I love seeing your images because we don't get the same birds and butterflies as you guys across the Pond. Hope all is well with you. Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol ... all is well with us. Always delighted to share something you and other readers wouldn't usually see.

      Delete
  2. what a cool butterfly! love the handsome magpie, too. nice purple blooms!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Theresa ... just a pity I couldn't show you its other colours!

      Delete
  3. One of my elderly birding friends always says just sit there and let the birds fly by you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red, that is definitely the right approach to enjoy any wildlife.

      Delete
  4. Excellent post Frank, it shows that to appreciate the beauty of nature that surrounds us all we have to do is take a step outside the door!...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Trevor. We sometimes have to make the effort to check what is on out doorstep rather than rushing here and there!

      Delete
  5. The garden's looking good Frank.
    Lovely shots of the Orange Tip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keith, it didn't look anything like that a month ago!

      Delete
  6. You have beautiful garden :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Damian. I just let the plants do what they want unless they get too far out of hand.

      Delete
  7. Wow you got all in one!!! All this in your garden when I barely see a redwing ;-) Nothing has grown yet over here, it is just starting. Thanks for sharing that with us Frank... Hope you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris ... all's well over here, just need a lot more sunshine!

      Delete
  8. Lovely Flowers, Birds and Butterlies, does not get much better than that, following a long cold season and entering into the warmth of new seasons, just beautiful Frank~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary. Everything is so much later this season due to the cold and wet and a definite lack of insects, so hoping for a lot more sunshine plus warmer temperatures to help the wildlife.

      Delete
  9. Amazing photos!! I've never seen a Blue Tit or Magpie before...Gorgeous! So glad I stopped by your blog!! I've added you to my bloglist!

    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tammy. Thanks for your visit and kind comments. I'll also be keeping an eye on your blog from now on.

      Delete
  10. Wonderful post Frank! So lovely to see things changing in the garden.
    Amazing encounter with the Orange tipped butterfly. I actually saw one in flight while cutting the lawns a few weeks ago. Saw the Brimstone, briefly aswell, around the same time in flight, but never been so lucky to be that close to photograph them. Regards ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shirleyanne. Hopefully if we get some sunshine you will be able to get close to our colourfull 'flutters'.

      Delete
  11. What a pretty post, I love the flowers, birds and the Orange Tipped butterfly. Beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I managed to sneak up on the orange tips last Sunday too - my favourite garden butterfly I think. The garden is always at its best at this time of year I think - before things get out of hand (if you know what I mean!!). Lovely photos - we call aquilegia Grannies Bonnets and they have seeded all over the garden, though after the horrible night we had last night I'm dreading to see the havoc those hailstones have wreaked!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann. Fresh growth and new blooms is always a delight at this time of year. I do hope the hailstones didn't cause havoc.

      Delete
  13. beautiful serie , love the butterfly :)

    ReplyDelete

I hope you enjoyed your visit and I always appreciate your comments and feedback.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails